- The term "HDHP" means high-deductible health plan.
- Related Terms: High-Deductible Health Plan
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 — HIPAA
HIPAA provides rights and protections for participants and beneficiaries in group health plans that improve the portability and continuity of health coverage. HIPAA limits preexisting condition exclusions, provides special enrollment rights, prevents discrimination against participants based on medical status, and increases the security and privacy of health care information.
- Related Terms: Mandated Benefits, Notice of Privacy Practices, Protected Health Information
- Health Maintenance Organization — HMO
An HMO is a legal entity that consists of participating medical providers that provide or arrange for care to be furnished to a given population group for a fixed fee per person. HMOs are used as alternatives to traditional indemnity plans as a way to manage costs and keep health care expenses low.
- Related Terms: Enhanced Provider Option, Managed Care, Point of Service, Preferred Provider Option
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement — HRA
An HRA is an employer-funded account governed by IRS Notice 2002-45 that reimburses eligible uninsured health expenses and may be offered in conjunction with a qualified high-deductible health plan (HDHP). The unused account balance carries forward to subsequent years. HRAs are also known as defined contribution health plans.
- Related Terms: High-Deductible Health Plan, Qualified Medical Expenses
- Health Savings Account — HSA
An HSA is a trust created or organized in the United States as a savings account exclusively for the purpose of paying the qualified medical expenses of the account beneficiary, who is covered under a qualified high-deductible health plan during the months for which contributions are made to an HSA. HSAs must satisfy the requirements of IRC Section 223(d).
- Related Terms: Health Savings Account Distributions, High-Deductible Health Plan, Qualified Medical Expenses
- Health Savings Account Distributions
HSA distributions are tax-free withdrawals from an HSA that are used to reimburse qualified medical expenses.
- Related Terms: Health Savings Account, Qualified Medical Expenses
- High-Deductible Health Plan — HDHP
An HDHP is a health plan that has specified annual deductible and annual out-of-pocket maximum provisions and that otherwise satisfies the requirements of IRC Section 223(c)(2). HDHPs are often, but not always, offered in conjunction with an HSA or HRA.
- Related Terms: Deductible, Health Savings Account, Out-of-Pocket Maximum
- The term "HIPAA" means the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Related Terms: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
- The term "HMO" means health maintenance organization.
- Related Terms: Health Maintenance Organization
- The term "HRA" means health reimbursement arrangement.
- Related Terms: Health Reimbursement Arrangement
- The term "HSA" means health savings account.
- Related Terms: Health Savings Account